If you’re already certified and want to continue learning, check out the CLASSES menu at the top of this page!
Open Water Diver class is your ticket to the underwater world! This is how you get certified to go diving for the rest of your life, anywhere in the world (in conditions like you get certified in or better).
Salem Scuba’s PADI Open Water Diver class is the entry point into this amazing sport of diving! After this class, you’ll be certified to dive down to 60 feet deep, anywhere in the world (with conditions equal or better than your certification location). And your certification lasts for the rest of your life!
Salem Scuba teaches an Open Water Diver class every month of the year, with more pool and open water time than anyone else. You’ll have plenty of quality time with your instructor and staff, and by the time you’re done, you’ll be in love with the 70% of the world that was previously off-limits!
Your Open Water Diver class will consist of 5 online modules, where you’ll go through the Open Water knowledge development. Then you’ll follow that up with 2 separate, 5 hour pool sessions that allow you much quality time to get comfortable with the skills and techniques of exploring the underwater world. Lastly, we will head up to Hoodsport, Washington to do your open-water certification weekend. (Can’t make any of our monthly class schedules work? Talk to us about private classes!)
Additionally, Salem Scuba, and it’s instructional staff, has developed one of the best open-water training systems around! So many shops get you the 4 checkout dives required by PADI, and then send you on your way. However, we know that it’s the first dive, the one where you’re just swimming around, going wherever the impulse takes you and spending whatever amount of time YOU decide looking at the variety of marine life – those are the dives that turns students into lifelong divers! So, on your open-water weekend, you’ll have the chance to get in more than just the regular 4 dives. You could dive a night dive and experience the bioluminescence, or dive a wreck and/or a wall dive, but most importantly – dive on your own plan with your buddies! (Don’t worry, if you’re signing up solo, you’ll make buddies in the class for sure!) Honestly, from more students than we can count, we’ve heard that it’s the bonus dives where they really started seeing themselves diving more often, because it was on those bonus dives that they got to relax, follow their own heart and pace, and enjoyed diving the most. Your training dives will be a blast, no doubt! But the bonus dives have been the highlight of many lives, over many years.
We like give out all the costs right up front, so here it is: Don’t just take “all-inclusive” to mean it, we’re the best bargain in diving for what we include!
- Open Water Diver is 550
- Lodging for the open water certification weekend is 200
- You’ll need a mask, snorkel, fins and boots – each dive starts with spitting in your mask, so you can see why these pieces are a purchase not rent situation. The good news – if you buy gear you really like, many divers buy these items one time for life – because SCUBA quality gear is made to last. Gear choices have a range, but Dea gives a student discount to those taking the class. Our TUSA package is discounted down to 300 and our Sherwood/Genesis package is discounted down to 250.
- You’ll have gas and food for your weekend in Washington. Of course, we recommend carpooling up and back with folks you meet in your class. It’ll make the trip easier, as well as share the load on gas!
- As an added bonus, you don’t have to pay for the air-fills of your bonus dives! If you do the absolute max, that’s 3 dives beyond the training 4 (7 dives on your first weekend!) and those 3 extra air fills would be ten dollars each at the local dive shop near where we stay.
The Open Water Diver class price includes:
- PADI Open Water Diver online course.
- All instruction, confined water training (pool), and open-water certification weekend.
- Air-fills for the training dives, plus the 3 bonus dives, as well as SCUBA gear rental.
- Entry into Sund Rock – a local marine preserve with some top notch diving (a $25 value).
- PADI certification card processing fee (we’ve never charged extra for this, but some shops tack on 20-30 dollars to process your card once you’re done).
So dive in! Let’s do this! CONTACT US, and let’s start the journey of a lifetime now!
You can also sign-up for the academic portion of your class online, click here for the online course system. If you sign-up via this link, don’t forget to call us, 503.588.DIVE (3483) to confirm your space in the class.